Search This Blog

Thursday 27 February 2014

DIY Cork Board

DIY Cork Board

Follow me on Bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11555387/aliceolivia

Hi all! I hope you are having a lovely day! 

This week I am going to share with you one of my favorite, inexpensive ways to decorate anybody's room: my jazzed up cork board, perfect as a head board or notice board for your room.

It is a fantastic DIY project that takes no time, very little money, and has a huge effect on the room you put it in! You can pick the fabric to suit your style and color scheme, whether it be floral, abstract, black and white, or even galaxy print. You can even embellish yours if you like. I love to use mine to hold notices, accessories, cards, and reminders.




You will need:
  • A cork board (it is completely up to you on how big you want it)
  • Fabric of your choice (make sure it is large enough to cover the entire cork board, with a few spare inches/centimeters on each side)
  • Scissors
  • A stapler or stapler gun
  • Any embellishments of your choice (I chose none)
  • Pins, cards, photos, notices, jewelry etc to put on your cork board (or you could just leave it blank)

Firstly, spread your fabric out over your surface



Place your cork board on top of the fabric, so the front of board is facing down on the fabric - make sure that the fabric is smoothed out, it'll make the process easier































Trim your fabric to size, so that it is a few inches/centimeters 
larger than the cork board itself





























Next is the important bit! Stretch your fabric over the back of the back of your cork board, and staple it to the board. A staple gun is easier, but if you are like me and don't have one, just open a regular stapler and use that.





























Once you have completed one side, fold in the corner of the fabric, like you were wrapping a present, then fold it over and staple


























Also, I highly recommend to NOT wear a scarf. It's pretty self explanatory :(





























This is an optional step, but what I like to do is tape down the "fold" on the corners with duct tape, this just ensures that there will be no loose fabric (sometimes this area is too thick to staple)





























This is what the back of the cork board will look like at the end


























When you flip it over, the fabric could potentially be wrinkly, so you may want 
to iron it (with the iron on a low setting)

Next is the fun part! Decorate your cork board with whatever you like to: photos, magazine clippings, timetables, accessories, anything you like! I took these pictures a while ago; since then I have redecorated it with some of my costume jewelry and changed up some of the photos. The great thing about this, is that you can change the fabric and pictures whenever you want. Here I changed up the fabric to a very colorful, bright print

The final product!






There you go! I really hope you enjoyed this blog post!

If you haven't followed me yet, here is the linkhttp://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11555387/aliceolivia

Alice xx

No comments:

Post a Comment